Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Poetry Terms: Alliteration ♥


DEFINITION
The repetition of the consonant sounds of two words or more.


EXAMPLE
Betty Botter bought some butter,
but, she said, the butter’s bitter;
if I put it in my batter
it will make my batter bitter,
but a bit of better butter
will make my batter better.
So she bought a bit of butter
better than her bitter butter,
and she put it in her batter
and the batter was not bitter.
So ’twas better Betty Botter
bought a bit of better butter.
 

SIGNIFICANCE
Alliteration isn't necessarily used in poems, but it makes poem sound cooler and funnier. When I think of alliteration, I think about tongue twister because when you say too many words with the same first initial, your tongue gets twisted which is really cool. Therefore, alliteration can help to make the poem become more entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you mentioned tongue twisted in the significance. Very cool! ;]

    ReplyDelete